Healthy, on-the-go breakfast recipe: Baked Oatmeal Bites

January 20, 2015

It’s been 10 months since I decided to take control of breakfast in my house, limiting cereal to three days a week and making a weekly breakfast meal plan that includes easy breakfasts that can keep the boys sated until snack time. What normally comes next is the story of how I’ve fallen off, but plan to get back to it for the new year. Well, guess what? Other than a few toast-heavy weeks, we have been going strong all 10 months, even adding new recipes along the way: smoothie bowls, the Berry Green Protein Smoothie, Pumpkin Yogurt Parfaits, and now these on-the-go Baked Oatmeal Bites.

These perfectly portioned bites are a revelation. Dump all the ingredients into a bowl, stir, bake, and store. I’ve decided that these have to be in my freezer at all times, so I always make a double batch. A handful go into the fridge for the week, the rest go into the freezer for breakfasts through the month and the occasional school lunch. They’re tasty enough to make an after-school snack, too, and are a wonderful early finger food.

Baked Oatmeal Bites: Healthy, on-the-go breakfast recipe | One Hungry Mama

This recipe is endlessly adaptable. Stir in nuts, seeds, coconut, cranberries, wheat germ, spices, or even left over roasted, mashed sweet potato! I use almond milk, which keeps this dairy free, but use whatever milk you like. If you’re not concerned with keeping this recipe dairy-free and you don’t have (or want to use) chia seeds, skip them and substitute a whisked egg. You can also use gluten-free oats if that serves you well, just be sure to skip gluten-ful add-in’s like wheat germ.

On-the-go breakfast recipe: Healthy Baked Oatmeal Bites | One Hungry Mama

If you’re feeling good about how your breakfasts are going, these delicious bites are a wonderful addition to your breakfast recipe repertoire. If you’re looking to take small steps towards better breakfasts, this low-maintenance, forgiving recipe is a great place to start. Either way, here’s to making 2015 the year of the healthy start!

Baked Oatmeal Bites
(Can be shared with kids 10+ mos)*
Makes 12 full-sized “muffins”

2 1/2 cup rolled oats (you can substitute gluten-free oats)
1 cup almond milk or milk of choice
1 cup apple sauce
1/2 cup wheat germ (optional; skip if making gluten-free)
1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut, plus more to top (optional)
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons melted & cooled coconut oil or neutral oil such as grapeseed
2 tablespoons chia seeds (you can substitute a whisked egg; see note in post)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional; if you love cinnamon, add up to 1/2 teaspoon total)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with liners; set aside. Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and mix using a wooden spoon or silicone spatula.

2. Scoop oatmeal “batter” into prepared muffin pan filling each well 3/4 to the top. Sprinkle each “muffin” with coconut if desired. Bake for 25 minutes.

3. Allow oatmeal to cool completely before wrapping for storage. These will last 3-5 days in the fridge and 3 months in the freezer. Thaw and/or warm through in the microwave or oven before serving.

*Note: This recipe should only be shared as written with eaters already safely managing tree nuts and coconut. Otherwise, adapt the recipe using a non-nut milk, neutral oil, and skipping the coconut. (Check out my tips for how to safely introduce high-allergen foods.) Also, feel free to share with eaters younger than 10 months who are safely managing soft finger foods.

1. Yvonne says:

This recipe looks tasty! But, how many bites are a whole serving? Thank you so much!!!

2. Yvonne: I don’t do nutritional data for my recipes, so I don’t define portion size except for standard dishes, in which case I usually do a range like “Serves 4-6.” I do that b/c so many of my readers are families and kid serving sizes vary greatly! My 8-year-old, whose appetite is mostly big, eats 2 of these plus fresh fruit and maybe even a hard boiled egg for b’fast. The little one will eat 1 or, if he’s famished (e.g., b/c he didn’t eat dinner the night before :-/ ), 2 at most. I eat two and have a fresh fruit/veg juice or smoothie. Hope that helps!

3. Lynn says:

Do you use a particular brand of silicone muffins cups. I’m looking to “safe” one!
    thanks,
    Lynn

4. Hello there, I ran across your web blog through Yahoo while looking for much the same make a difference, your internet site came upwards, it seems good. I have got added onto favourites features and functions|added onto bookmarking.

5. Suzanne says:

Thanks for the quick and easy recipe! I’m always looking for tasty “grab and go” breakfasts and snacks. I’ve made these twice in the past week and my 4 kids gobble them up!

p.s. I make these in my USA Pan muffin pans and I don’t need liners, they pop right out.

I’m so glad that you like this recipe, Suzanne. I, too, am always thinking about grab and go breakfasts and this one has been a lifesaver. I hope for you, too!

7. Fran says:

can you substitute water instead of milk?
    and do you think this recipe could be suitable for a cookie version?

8. Brittany says:

wow! I don’t ever comment on recipes, but this one is great! I LOVE To have a good versatile recipe that can easily be tweaked to suit any palette, And this is just that! I made a few additions and substitutions and they came out perfect for my family! In case anyone is interested here’s what I did(it did sweeten them up a bit to my taste):

Added a whole diced Apple
    1/3 cup pecans ran through the food processor( instead of coconut)
    Doubled the cinnamon
    Used a 1/4c ground flax seed and only 1/4c wheat germ
    One egg instead of chia seeds
    No almond milk so used cows milk
    Lastly I added 1/4 cup brown sugar and cut the syrup down to 1T

I also used Instant oats as that was all I had. Recipe came out perfect and SO tasty! Beats regular old oatmeal any day! I’ll be making these again and again. My kids eat oatmeal every morning before school, so this is a perfect easy morning meal! Thanks!

9. Brittany says:

I’ll also be trying these using pumpkin in place of applesauce, chopped walnuts, and pumpkin pie seasoning. Can’t wait to see how those turn out!

10. Lori O'Connor says:

Could I use steel cut oats for this recipe? Would there be any variation?

11. Joanna says:

I ran this through MyFitnessPal.com’s recipe builder and came up with 154 calories each for 12 servings (without toppings). Can’t wait to try this!

12. Elizabeth E says:

Just took mine out of the oven and couldn’t resist eating one nice and warm. I added a handful of mini chocolate chips for the added sweetness. Very filling and delicious. I can’t wait to try more variations…I had to deal with what was in my pantry. Also, I didn’t have wheat germ so I substituted 1/2 c ground flax seed, which worked great. Thanks for the recipe.

13. Claudia says:

How do you adjust the baking time for mini muffins?

14. Rachel F says:

If omitting the wheat germ (due to gluten allergies) do I need to add something else in its place, or will they still turn out ok? Thank you.

15. Eva Lundgren says:

Just came across your website from a friend on facebook. You have just made my year, thank you for these videos and details at the bottom. Will try this tonight.

They should still turn out fine!

17. Steph says:

This is actually one of my favorite recipes. I’ve modified it a little bit because I sometimes don’t have all the ingredients . On occasion, I’ve added mashed banana to it. And even some nuts. I also make these little smaller and more of bite-size. I have one bite size muffin every night. It’s satisfying and also sweet enough for that “sweet tooth”. I absolutely love these

Isn’t it great how adaptable this recipe is?! You can pack it with so much different healthy stuff. So glad you like this as much as I do!

19. Wendy says:

Leave out the oil. Coconut oil is 95% saturated fat with very few real health benefits. Add nuts or flax instead. They will be just fine and a lot healthier!

20. Lisa says:

Joanna, thanks for the calorie workup! Stacie, these are a hit with everyone. I’ve even shared with coworkers and they love them. I’m so glad the weather is finally cooling down here in NM so I can run my oven again. The only change I’ve made is using Agave syrup instead of maple and I added just a few butterscotch chips to each. Made two batches today so we don’t run out! Love your website!!

I’m so glad that you love these as much as we do, Lisa. And butterscotch chips. Mmmm. My favorite!!

22. Diane Garcia says:

I used paper liners and they stuck to the muffins. I will try to oil the pan or buy silicone liners. Other then my mistake I love them.

Sorry about the paper liners — great note for everyone! Thank you for mentioning it. And so happy you liked this recipe!