December 10th, 2013
I’m not one for traditional Christmas cookies, so this year I’m ditching roll outs and spritzer cookies for a holiday version of everyone’s favorite (yes, even Santa’s): Peppermint Chocolate Chunk Cookies.
The simplest adjustment turns my favorite crispy, chewy chocolate chip cookies into a festive treat that feels cozy, familiar, and festive all at once. Especially if you’re the big guy working all night delivering gifts. Or, you know, a parent working hard to pull it all together before the kids wake in the morning.
Once you try these babies, they’ll immediately become a holiday staple—for you, the kids and Santa, too!
Peppermint Chocolate Chunk Cookies
(Can be shared with kids 12+ mos)*
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
1 egg, room temperature
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper. Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
2. Using a hand or stand mixer, mix melted butter, sugar, and brown sugar until well combined. Beat in peppermint extract, egg, and egg yolk and continue mixing until light and creamy.
3. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined.
4. Using a wooden spoon or silicone spatula, stir in the chocolate chunks. Place dough on prepped cookie sheets: 1/4 cup each for giant cookies or a tablespoon each for smaller ones. Each cookie should be about 3? apart.
5. Bake larger cookies for 15-17 minutes, smaller ones for 10-12 minutes. Always check your cookies before taking them out since baking times will vary. To get these crispy on the edges and chewy in the middle, the edges should be just light brown. If the cookies turn a deep golden brown throughout, they will be crunchy. Remove cookies from oven and allow to cool on baking sheet for two minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
*Note: While there is nothing in this that is unsafe, I recommend these cookies starting at 12+ months due to the high sugar content. No matter how old your little eaters, be sure to serve an age appropriate portion. A little of these sweet treats goes a long way for wee ones
Disclaimer: All reviews and opinions are based on personal experience. If I am not willing to spend my own money on it, it won't be mentioned here. If I am paid to write something, review something that has been provided to me for free or cover a brand that has given me any type of financial compensation or free "swag," you'll know. Read more here about how I select and work with brands and my full disclosure policy.
© 2013 One Hungry Mama