August 7th, 2013

{video} Back to School: 4 Pantry Ingredients Essential for Great School Lunches

Watch today’s video to learn more about the 4 easy-to-get ingredients that are essential to packing a great school lunch… day after day after day!

Every family cook has their go-to ingredients, ones they know how to use in all different ways to save the dinner rush. Well, I have those go-to ingredients for school lunch, too. There are 4 pantry and fridge that I always have at the ready during the school year. These 4 ingredients save me every morning Monday through Friday and keep lunch interesting for my kids thanks to their versatility.

Check out today’s video to learn more about the 4 super affordable and easy-to-get ingredients that will save kiddo’s lunch this year, complete with ideas on how to use them. In the meantime, here’s a hint:

A round up of my favorite pesto recipes.

Enjoy!

S, xo

1. LOVE this! Super simple tips, love the idea to add shredded carrots to your sandwiches. Brilliant. I’m new to the lunch- packing this year, so I need all the help I can get. :)

2. kiley says:

once again-awesome!

3. Katie says:

Seriously? I know you’ve been doing a lot of videos lately, and I have to tell you it has me seriously considering whether to keep you on my blog roll. Videos take way too long to load & view, plus I have to dig out my headphones. Combine this with your “after the jump” habit that forces me to leave Feedly and visit your actual blog, and I’m wondering if your blog is worth it. Don’t get me wrong — you have wonderful things to say and delicious recipes, but your format is going downhill fast!

glad you guys like the tips, @danielle and Kiley. And sorry, Katie, that you’re not digging the videos. I post them every other week (and am looking to post more frequently come winter). I hope you’ll stick with me, but understand if it’s not your thing. (BTW: you can just skip the video posts.) As for the “after the jump,” I’ve been doing that forever. Not sure it’ll change anytime soon.

5. Hi there, just wanted to mention, lots of people come as well as bring modern tools and revolutionary knowledge and also style to this little islandat an times I liked this blog post. It was inspiring. Keep on posting!

6. Brandi says:

Hey Hungry Mama,

Which containers are you using? Those look like just the right size! My lunch superhero is quinoa. I make one big batch on Sunday and then make it sweet or savory in the morning. It’s the one reliable thing my little will eat, and it’s easy to make my lunch , too!

Too bad Katie doesn’t like to dig out her headphones; your videos are great! :)

Awww… thanks, Brandi! I love the idea of keeping a big batch of quinoa around. I used to freeze it, too, when the kids were babies—I should start doing that again!
    I LOVE my lunch containers. They are perfect, but sometimes hard to find. Here’s the link, though they seem to be out of stock at the moment. Keep checking, though, sometimes they come back:

Here’s another options that’s 99% the same (just a teeny weeny eensie bit bigger):

8. Jamie says:

Perfect timing ! How did you know what I was stressing out about this week ??? I do the cooking and shopping for the family, and with 3 kids (the oldest goes to Kindergarten in 3 1/2 weeks – she is excitedlynervous!) I’m always looking for help when making their lunches…I can cook for a dinner party of 15 without a problem, yet making lunches for 3 hungry kids leaves me at a loss at times. Thanks for making it just THAT much easier for me. Cheers ! Jamie

9. Rosie says:

I’m not a HUGE fan of the videos (means I have to make a point to watch it at home, not at work..shhh! ) but really dont mind it all that much. But I did love this post. My daughter starts kindergarten in 2 weeks so hubby and I are new to the making lunch routine. These are great ideas-thank you very much.

I love hearing from you guys about the videos. I have to say that I do LOVE making these videos, so expect more, not fewer. That said, I”m also working on a site redesign. It will make it so that videos are their own things and, hopefully, will feel less “disruptive” among the text posts. It’ll take a while for me to get it sorted, but my hope is that makes the most sense for the most people (including me! :-)

Glad this vid is helping y’all with BTS readiness. More to come!

S, xo