March 17th, 2012

{recipe} Dried Pineapple Flowers

Dried Pineapple Flowers

I spied a picture of gorgeous pineapple flowers on this food hacks Pinterest board and instantly knew that I had to try to make them. As it turns out, the editors of Martha Stewart Living have also made them (of course!). I ended up following Martha’s directions, but the other source, a blog published in another language (so that I cannot tell you anything about it), has step-by-step photos and the brilliant idea of letting the “flowers” dry in a muffin tin. That’s the way to go, for sure.

Either way, the idea is the same and oh-so-simple. Barely any work (peel, slice, stick in the oven) yields this pretty thing…

Dried Pineapple Flower closeup

…which can make just about anything else a pretty thing, too. I placed 3 on top of an olive oil pound cake (recipe coming soon!) that I made for brunch for friends and, voila, instant wow factor.

olive oil pound cake w pineapple flowers

These keep in a baggie for a few days, so you can make them ahead of time. There is no excuse crafty mamas and papas: dried pineapple flowers you must make!

Dried Pineapple Flowers
adapted from Martha Stewart Living
makes about 24 flowers
(can be shared with kids 10+ mos)*

1 large pineapple

1. Preheat oven to 225F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside. (You may need two sheets or to make these in batches.) Using a serrated knife, cut the top and bottom half inch off of the pineapple. Stand it upright and peel by cutting the remaining skin off.

2. Using a small melon baller or a 1/4 teaspoon, remove and discard the “eyes” all around the peeled pineapple.

3. Lay the pineapple on its side and, using a sharp non-serrated knife, cut thin slices crosswise. Lay slices on prepped cookie sheet and place in the oven. Bake for about 30 minutes and flip the slices. Bake for another 30-45 minutes, or until the slices are completely dried out. (Exact baking time will depend on how thin your slices are.) Remove cookie sheet from oven and carefully transfer slices to an egg carton, pinching the center and laying it over the peak of the dividers, or tuck each slice into the well of a muffin tin (as shown in this photo step-by-step). Allow to air dry completely. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to three days.

*Note: These slices of dried fruit are thin enough to be safe for kids 10+ up who are managing finger foods.

1. Aggie says:

These are gorgeous!

2. Amy says:

I can’t wait to try these! Dried pineapples in the bulk bin at Whole Foods are at least $9.99/lb. But a whole pineapple is $2.99 at Costco. After I make these I’m going to weigh them and figure out what the cost per pound is for homemade. Thanks for the recipe!

you’re welcome. and, yes, great point about the savings. the one thing is that the bulk dried pineapple rings are cut a bit thicker—they are a more substantial snack. I don’t think you’ll get as pretty a “flower” with a thicker cut, but who cares if they are just for snacking! then, when you want to make ones for show (e.g., cupcake toppers), just cut ‘em thin so that they curl up all pretty. thanks, amy!

4. CherokeeNative says:

Okay – I did this today, and after reading the problems everyone was having at other sites trying to do this, I tried using a meat slicer to get the paper thin slices…worked perfectly. I then tried doing them in the oven at 225* and checked them every 15 min. It took 1 hour for them to get just perfect. I also did some at the same time in my electric dehydrator. Although it took all day long for them to get dry in the dehydrator, they turned out more true yellow with no browning, whereas the ones in the oven got a little light light browning on their edges. Turns out, I like them both ways to add dimension to the flowers when positioned on the cake. Anyway, it is the meat slicer that is key.

nice—thanks for the idea @cherokeenative! appreciate it. i also love combining ones that are more yellow with ones that have turned a little brown on the edges. i bet it’s super pretty!

6. MJ says:

Do you think they would freeze? I have like 2 dozen + of these beauties – need to use them up fast or freeze or…any suggestions…other experiments out there?

I got a great pineapple at the DOLLAR store! Yup – $1!!!! So I didn’t mind experimenting – my mandolin slicer works well too – if the pineapple is smaller, or you trim it down a bit. $1 pineapples were small – about 4 inches in diameter and maybe 5-6 inches tall. Those huge 6″-7″ diameter pineapples for $7.99 are just not worth it to me – way to huge!