July 28th, 2011

{recipe} Coconut Quinoa Pancakes, Gluten-Free Optional

Coconut Quinoa Pancakes

We’re there. Or should I say we’re here. The place I’ve been dreading all summer. The place of no school, no camp, no classes. Just an open schedule all day, every day. And you know what, it’s way more fun (and manageable) than expected! It’s loud—very loud—but a good time is being had by all. (Okay, and it helps that we’ll be spending all of next week at the beach house.)

One of the perks of an open schedule for both boys is relaxed mornings. Like weekend mornings, but even better since we don’t have to do any major planning or manage family dynamics which can get complicated. Don’t get me wrong, we love having the Hungry Papa in the mix—our family time is gold!—but it’s easy breezy with just me and the two boys and, eventually, our beloved sitter, Miss J.

And easy breezy makes me want to make pancakes!

I was on a Swedish-style yogurt pancake kick for a while. (The recipe came from our end-of-the-year class cookbook—thanks Charlie, Stacy and Jesse!) I love them because they are tasty, of course, but also because they are made with high-protein Greek-style yogurt. Now I’m kicking up my pancake protein using another ingredient—quinoa.

These fluffy Coconut Quinoa pancakes are hearty without feeling heavy. My favorite combination! I love the way cinnamon, vanilla and coconut go together but, if that’s not your scene, you can reduce or eliminate one or both. You can also substitute another one of your favorite spices. I want to try these with vanilla and cardamom next. I ran out of quinoa flour once and used quinoa flakes instead. They came out just as great, but had a slight quinoa flavor. I liked it, but you won’t if you’re not generally into quinoa.

If you want to make these gluten-free, substitute your favorite gluten-free flour blend for the regular flour. Done and done!

Oh, and PS: these make an awesome early finger food. Make a big batch and freeze to have on hand for your little pincer gripper!

Coconut Quinoa Pancakes
(can be shared with kids 8+ mos)*
makes about 12 pancakes

1 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour blend
1 cup quinoa flour or quinoa flakes (see note above)
1/2 cup shredded coconut (I prefer unsweetened)
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tablespoons canola oil, plus more for cooking
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs

1. Combine flour, quinoa flour, coconut, brown sugar, baking powder and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Whisk to work out all of the clumps.

2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, vanilla and eggs until well combined.

3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, whisking all the while until well combined. The batter will have texture because of the coconut (and quinoa flakes, if using), but should not have lumps.

4. Heat a well oiled pan or griddle over medium heat. Add batter in 1/4 cup scoops and cook until bubbles just begin to form around the edges. (Unlike most pancake batters, this will not bubble vigorously—you’re looking for just a couple of bubbles.) Flip and cook for another two minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. Serve immediately, with a drizzle of honey or warmed maple syrup.

*Note: These make a great early finger food! If your child is not yet managing soft finger foods by 8-months-old, hold off on serving these. Otherwise, cut into age appropriate bites and serve. Skip the honey for children under 12-months-old (it’s not safe for children under one) and consider skipping the syrup, too. These have a tiny bit of sweetness on their own that should be enough for early eaters.

1. Julia says:

I came across these by searching for a ‘quinoa pancake.’ And then I got to the end of the post where you mention that these are a great finger food for baby. Funny thing, that’s EXACTLY why I was searching for quinoa pancakes, because I’ve recently learned you can pack pancakes with tons of nutrients, and my kid LOVES them! So far she’s eaten spinach/oatmeal pancakes and carrot/whole wheat pancakes. These are next up! Thanks!

I’m so glad you found what you were looking for… here! Hope you like the pancakes. And thanks for the reminder—I need to make more of these soon!

3. Priya says:

This recipe sounds awesome! I was searching for quinoa flakes pancakes, you said you have tried it before, how exactly did you do it though? Did you cook the flakes and then add it?

Hi Priya – no need to cook the flakes before hand! You can just throw quinoa flakes into pancake batter and they’ll cook up fine. They’ll cook up just fine but, as I mentioned, they’ll give your pancakes a quinoa flavor (unlike quinoa flour, which will not lend quinoa flavor). In this recipe, in particular, though, I prefer quinoa flour OR even pulsed quinoa flakes to whole ones. Simply dump the flakes into a food processor or powerful blender and pulse until you get something more like a flour. Hope this makes sense—write again if not or if you have any problems with the recipe.

5. carla says:

I don’t have access to quinoa flour or flakes but would love to make these. Do you know if I can pour dry quinoa into a blender or food processor & grind it to make my own flour?
    Thank you!

carla: i have no idea how your comment slipped through the cracks!! i’m so, so sorry. if it’s still relevant, i’d be careful about grinding quinoa. quinoa seeds have a bitter coating called saponins. you usually rinse quinoa before cooking it to wash saponins away. if you don’t, it can be, well, as i said… bitter. i’ve tried rinsing quinoa and then grinding it, which becomes a mucky mess. i suppose you could rinse quinoa, spread it out to dry and *then* grind it… but what a process.

if you decide to give it a try (or maybe if you have already!), let us know.

7. Gina says:

I was wondering if I can use coconut flour in these instead of shredded coconut? My daughter is a very finicky eater and if she feels any “bumps” in her food, she won’t eat it! Thanks!

coconut flour won’t give you the same flavor and will change the texture. i think you’re better of pulsing the coconut in a food processor until it’s smoother (but not quite as fine/powdery as flour). you can also skip the shredded coconut and substitute coconut milk for regular. you won’t get the same level of coconut flavor, but it’s something! hope this helps (and sorry for the delay in answering your questions… been vacationing!)

9. Lacy says:

Made these this morning on a hunt for quinoa flake pancakes! Just so happened that I shredded up a coconut last night and wanted to use that for something too! So it worked out great :) 2 tiny changes, used whole wheat flour and olive oil. Everyone enjoyed this tasty breakfast, 2 year old, 7 month old and the hubster and me. Thank you!!

These were made for you, Lacy! I love your changes—want to try them myself! Thanks for sharing.

11. Julie says:

I just made a slight variation on your recipe but yum yum yum! What a versatile recipe? I only ever have no fat milk in the house so I used just 1 cup of no fat milk and 1/2 cup of full cream Greek style yoghurt. I also replaced the canola oil with grape seed oil. I cooked in olive oil though because the grape seed could have overpowered the final flavour. We had them hot with a scoop of yoghurt and a drizzle of maple syrup. This is definitely one for the family cookbook. Thanks heaps!

I love your adjustments Julie, so glad that they worked out well!