{parenting} Fast Food, Bad Attitude, Getting Poo Poo’ed! Oh, My!

July 21, 2011

Fast Food

It’s been too long since I’ve asked you to join my ongoing conversation with the venerable Ms. Mary Mack and, today, I hereby correct that. Grab a cup o’ joe and hop on over to give us your side of things. Believe me, you’ll have something to say. We’ve been trading on seriously debate-worthy territory. Think fast food and being judged for your parenting.

Two months ago we chatted about fast food. Ours wasn’t a conversation about good or bad. That would be too easy. Instead, we talked about where to draw the line. Is fast food okay sometimes? Never? Does prohibition backfire? Check out what we had to say and chime in.

Today’s conversation about dealing with the eye rolls that come with being an organic eating mama was particularly interesting because it is as much about food as it is about parenting in general. While good recipes with healthy ingredients may help motivate healthy eating, all this fuss about going organic, eating home cooked meals, hiding vegetables—raising healthy kids—is really about parenting choices.

Just like other parenting choices, the decisions we make out how we feed our families is wrapped up in class and access, our priorities, our personal psychology, child’s personality and more. With that in mind, I found myself talking more about how I deal with eye rolls, in general, than about how I deal with the ones in response to my food choices. We all get eye rolls, right? Tell us how you deal.

Photo flickr.com/cfinke

1. My twins (4.5) have never had McDs, Wendys or KFC. I don’t like it so not sure why they would.However when we eat out I do let them choose and often it is fries and grilled cheese. I don’t mind unhealthy food as a treat,but there’s a difference between that and the industrialized stuff the fast food chains try to pass of as food.

Lisa: not sure if you read my pov on ms mary mack, but i, too, distinguish between even junk food and the manufactured *stuff* that is served at fast food chains. totally with you on that!

3. christina says:

funny you mention this because my mom always jokes around to people that I only feed my kids organic. Even my almost 3 year old asks if things are organic because he knows it makes us all laugh. On our recent trip to CA, he ran through the aisles of the Santa Monica Whole Foods asking for “organic water” LMAO.I get annoyed at the eye rolls and comments I get from my family regarding our food choices and even my choice to breastfeed (they get creeped out by it) and even though Im developing a thick skin, I’d sure appreciate some support or at least respect. sheesh.

My almost 3 year old and and I were just talking about “Old Macdonalds” (as he calls it), just today. A few months ago, I was shocked when he knew what the golden arches were, since I never brought him inside one myself. I quickly assumed it was my mother who was his caretaker for 2 years while I worked full time. Sure enough, she confessed to taking him there to buy coffee (hmmm…..). Even he says he didn’t eat anything but who really knows. Regardless, he was intrigued because it has a “playground in it”. Can’t say I blame the dude for wanting to jump around in those plastic balls. Still, I was still annoyed that he even set foot in that place before we had the chance to discuss exactly what that sort of “food” was and why it wasn’t good for our bodies. Fast forward to today, we’ve had that conversation and now whenever we pass it, he says “Look! There’s Old Macdonald!It’s gross but it has a playground” LOL Gotta love him.

4. MPK says:

I like and ‘preach’ organic and promote my friend’s book Chef Bobo’s Good Food Cookbook, I’m on the nutrition committee in school but I’m not going to tell my kids and parents they can’t feed them fast food or something else on occasions. I breastfed them all, one needed more and longer than the others (10, 22, 14 months), and only got a few jokes at work about pumped milk in a thermos at work. Others reacted positively, though some felt the need to say they wouldn’t do it themselves.

5. Rosie says:

What a timely post as I was just the recipient of this kind of judgement by my two older sisters last week. I make a point to cook at home most days of the week, shop at my farmers market weekly for produce, eggs, olive oil, meat, fish and anything else I can get my hands on and as a result, buy very little processed food. I’m not perfect. Not everything I buy and what we consume is organic. But I do try and buy local as much as possible and seasonal, as far as I’m concerned, is a priority to me. Its not just about health and doing whats right for the environment, but to me, its also about keeping my dollars local and supporting those producers who operate on a smaller scale. The health benefits are a byproduct that I will gladly welcome.

But despite my dogmatism at home, I realize that there are going to be instances where its just easier to go with the flow. Life is all about choices, balance and moderation in all things, even if it is fast, processed food that we don’t normally consume is in my book, the hallmark of a healthy lifestyle. We were at a family picnic and after a day of my 3 1/2 year old eating more than her share of junk food (Cheetos, Capri Sun, etc., I bristled at my mom offering her yet another juice box. I was then asked by my sister “whats wrong with juice?” to which I answered that its pure sugar. I saw the eye roll and sensed it from my other older sister which of course put me on the defensive. I REALLY wish it didn’t have to be that way.

Sorry for the long post.

6. Can’t tell you how great it is to read these comments! Sitting here nodding emphatically. I’ve gotten to the level of being like “Back up off me, Judge Judy. I’m doing what *I’m* doing,” and not being concerned with the eye-rolls and questions that are really judging statements.

Study after study, scientific facts after face show that what you eat/what you put in your body is THE thing to focus on as far as your health is concerned. You can workout like an Olympic athlete, but if you’re throwing back Taco Hell (yes, we have names for all of ’em) after that exercise, you’re basically unraveling any gains made towards the betterment of your overall health. So why, knowing all of this, would I give my fresh-to-the-world, clean-slate kid anything but whole, good foods?

I used to get my back up about it, like, when a family member or other mother would say, “Oh, you and this organic stuff.” Then I had a word with myself, and dropped all of the awkwardness about it. The fact was this: As a parent, I made an active choice to read labels, ask questions and shop/eat organic (as much possible). And, yes, I agree with all: unhealthy treats here and there are totally fine. But junk food? Naw, dawg. Not walking into that trap…not with the knowledge I’m packing. 🙂

Glad we started this convo, OHM. Let’s keep it going!

7. Jodi says:

Although my husband and I don’t eat a lot of organic (yet), our infant son eats almost all organic. It’s our choice and I would never roll my eyes at someone who chose to do otherwise. That’s with most parenting decisions. Yeah, I have my opinion, but I keep it to myself because I know that it’s not my place to dictate or push my views on another parent. I get annoyed when people do it to me so why should I do the same? I just wish people would respect that different families decide different things that work for their family.

8. Trevor K says:

Lisa Davies, you talk about industrialized food and giving it to your kids as a treat but, whenever you make them food it is probably made from one year old bread and cheese that has been sitting in your dirty ass attic where the rats live. Please do us all a favor by eating that stuff yourself and then realize that their shit is better than your trash.

9. Chris G says: