June 3rd, 2011

{recipe} Coconut Mango Roast Chicken

Coconut Mango Roast Chicken

I know what you’re thinking. Roast chicken? Now?

Yes, now. Before it gets too hot to turn on the oven. (We are not there, yet, people.) Plus, I dolled this roast chicken up with sunshiny coconut and mango. Pair it with an avocado and orange salad, rice and beans and limeade or a tamarindo agua fresca (spiked for mama and papa) and you’ve got a perfect early summer dinner. Yes, indeed.

Hop over the jump to grab the recipe…

Coconut Mango Roast Chicken
(can be shared with kids 12+ mos)*
Serves 4-6

1 large, ripe mango, peeled and roughly chopped
1 15-oz can coconut milk
2 tablespoons honey (use an alternative sweetener if sharing with kids under 12 months)*
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Juice of 1 lime
Sriracha
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1 whole chicken, cut into pieces (look for organic and humanely raised, if possible)
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 scallions, washed, trimmed and chopped, for garnish
Cilantro, washed and chopped, for garnish

1. Add mango, coconut milk, honey, oil, lime juice, Sriracha (one or two squirts will give mild flavor and no heat; add more, up to 2 teaspoons, to add heat), coriander, and 1 teaspoon of salt to a high-speed blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. This is your marinade; you’ll need about 1/2 of the amount made for 1 whole chicken.

2. Place chicken pieces in a medium bowl or large Ziploc bag, add marinade (save leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze), cover or seal, and allow chicken to marinate for at least 1 hour and up to 4.

3. About 15 minutes before cooking, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place chicken, skin side down, in a roasting pan and pour about 2/3 of the marinade over the top of the chicken. Roast chicken for 20 minutes, then flip so that the skin side is facing up. Continue roasting for another 45 minutes or so, basting at least twice along the way until the skin is crispy and browned in spots.

4. Remove roasting pan from oven. Baste chicken one last time, glazing it with the drippings and marinade, and place chicken on a platter to rest.

5. In the meantime, put the roasting pan on a stovetop burner turned to medium heat and whisk in remaining 1/3 of the marinade in which the chicken had soaked. Keep whisking until the drippings and marinade are well-incorporated, along with all the crispy brown bits left over from roasting. Remove from heat as soon as a sauce pulls together. Season with salt and pepper to taste. This is your pan sauce.

6. Drizzle pan sauce over chicken or serve on the side. Sprinkle chicken with chopped scallion and cilantro and serve!

*Note: If sharing with early eaters, remove the skin and puree the meat with a healthy whole grain. The rice and beans I mentioned or even steamed quinoa. For extra flavor, add a little of the finished sauce or, even healthier, some “raw” marinade that has not come in contact with raw chicken. If you choose the latter, set some marinade aside before you add the raw chicken to marinate. Never use marinade that has been in contact with raw chicken, unless it has been cooked thoroughly.

Also, honey is not safe for eaters under 12-months old due to risk of botulism. This is true even if the honey has been cooked at high heat. Please use sugar or honey to taste if sharing with very little ones.

1. piranha54 says:

Yummy! Just happened to have a chicken in the fridge and all the ingredients on hand – fab! Super easy and very tasty. Thanks!

2. Gvpacuties says:

Used these ingredients to make moist and flavorful turkey burgers!. Thanks for the inspiration!

great idea! thanks for sharing!

4. Miri Leigh says:

Looks delicious! Thanks for posting :)

5. Robin says:

I made this the other night and while I loved the flavors, I didn’t love how heavy it was. It looked so light in the picture. I think where it went wrong was having you pour the sauce on top. When my chicken cooked, it made a huge amount of fat that I then used when I put the marinade back into the pan. It ended up being very high fat and not the light dish I wanted. In the future to cut down on the heaviness, I would specifically use LIGHT coconut milk. I would also pour out the chicken fat at the bottom of the pan before I cooked the sauce. This way I’d still get the “crispies” but lose all the chicken fat. Alternatively, maybe cooking the chicken without skin would be a good idea also. Anyway, I thought I’d give you the feedback.

6. Thanks for the feedback, Robin. The sauce is definitely rich. Part of why I made it a seperate pan sauce is so that folks could regulate how much–or how little–they’d like to include in the final dish. I, personally, don’t drizzle all of the sauce over the chicken. I should have mentioned more clearly that there may be more sauce than you’ll want to use. Also, as an aside, for the kids, I peel the skin off and give them just a little sauce for dipping lean chicken instead of pouring the sauce over their meat.

Since I use just a little sauce, I like that it’s rich. But, for those who want to use it as more of a “smother” sauce without all the fat, I love your ideas. I personally don’t like cooking with light coconut milk (I never get the results I want!), but seems like a good option. (Let us know if you try it!) I especially like the idea of draining most of the drippings from the pan and then cooking the leftover “raw” marinade with the crispies, but not the fat.

7. Robin says:

Okay, so I went ahead and tried the recipe again (same marinade as before since I froze the remainder from the previous time I’d made it) but this time I took off the skin. This was a massive improvement! All of the pan drippings were actual juice from the chicken and I didn’t have to worry about a ton of grease. This way when I combined the sauce with the drippings, I didn’t have the grease pool I had before. This made the final result less fattening for the whole family, but still lots of yummy flavors.

8. Ben says:

So I clicked the babble link to get the recipe but the website says it doesn’t exist. Could someone please email me the recipe OR send me a link to it that works??

my email is littlegreenman_@hotmail.com

Thanks

Hi, Ben: For some reason the recipe got taken down or moved. I’ve published it here now for your convenience.