May 17th, 2011

{parenting} Edible Finger Paint. Like, Really, Edible.

edible finger paint main

I recently bookmarked this “recipe” for edible finger paint. I had visions of taking the Hungry Baby outside in the warm weather, letting him go to town, then hosing him down. But today, day two of a predicted seven days of rain in New York City, it was time to get creative with our indoor activities. I just hope that I didn’t go too big too fast. (Seven days is a looooong time!)

I’d remembered the above “recipe” for edible paint calling for cooking time (in fact, it calls for nothing more than mixing cornstarch, water and boiling water), so I started the day with a little research. I was curious to see if I could find an even easier recipe. I ended up on the always fantastic Makes and Takes where I found another edible finger paint idea. A really, edible idea. Like, finger-paint-as-full-on-snack idea.

Colored yogurt.

edible finger paint

Of course! Greek-style yogurt is a totally workable paint consistency and much more nutritious than cornstarch and water.

starting to finger paint

Yummier, too. Lick the bowl yummy.

edible finger paint is really yummy

Add a few drops of all natural food color to a small bowl of yogurt and you’ve got yourself some serious toddler fun.

And a snack, too.

edible finger paint is yummy

1. Alexa Corben says:

We would like to offer you a free sample of Dove Energy Glow.

2. This is so cool! I am totally bookmarking this and can’t wait to try this with my daughter when she gets older!!

3. Liz M says:

What an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing this – I can’t wait to try this with my 3 artists!

4. Nisha says:

My 19 month old son would have way too much for with this! We’ll be doing this outside, for sure. Eating yogurt for the sole purpose of eating yogurt has him covered from head to toe anyway. He’ll love having permission to paint with his yogurt!

5. kelly p says:

wonderful idea! may i also ask what brand of chair you little one is sitting it? i love IT even more :)

6. Meghan says:

Genius! My son’s 11 months old, so I’m not crazy about the super sugary pudding paint, and was going to use either a flour or cornstarch recipe, but this is so much better! I know what we’re doing this afternoon!

7. Stephanie says:

My 18-month-old finger paints with just plain white greek yogurt, which had me thinking about a finger painting recipe, too. Never thought to just add dye! I can’t wait to try this.

8. Great idea! I am going to try this with my 14-month old this afternoon. Hoping to make a Valentine for Dad!

9. Tracey says:

Have you ever kept any of these paintings? I’m guessing they’d get a bit stinky?

Tracey: Nope, never kept. This is for pretty young ‘uns. Like so young that there’s no point in keeping their paintings. :-) Maybe it’s a second kid thing? (Or was I always so merciless about art? You gotta be or you drown in paper!!)