{parenting} Eight Things

April 5, 2011

Eight Things

Eight things about RIGHT NOW.

Four I’m most proud of as an expert in family eating:

1. My 4-year-old Hungry Boy is so obsessed with authentic (ie, spicy as hell) jerk pork that our sitter has it fed ex’ed to us from a Jamaican restaurant owned by her family friends in Florida. I am not kidding.

2. Both of my kids ravenously lapped up a dinner of soba noodles in dashi with veggies and a poached egg. The Hungry Boy asked to put the meal on his list of favorite dinners. The 18-month-old Hungry Baby screamed, “Mo, mo, mo!” (Translation: “More, more, more!”)

3. I can take my kids out to eat anywhere and never have to pack food. Well, except for the munchies that keep them from freaking out while we wait for the restaurant food to be served.

4. While people think I got lucky — and in some ways I did — I know how hard I worked to get my kids to where there are now with food. And I know that it just seems like luck because I started the work from their very first bites, and I’m proud as hell of how it paid off.

Four I’m not so proud of as an expert in family eating:

1. My 18-month-old has a fairly limited vocabulary, yet “upup” (ketchup) and “cakey-cakey” (cake) are two of his word. Ugh.

2. The Hungry Boy does not like bacon. (Wait, should this be on the proud list? I’m confused. My love for bacon is clouding my thought.)

3. I often try to convince the Hungry Baby that I should feed him because self feeding makes too big a mess. (Some nights I just can’t deal! But, don’t worry: he rarely allows it.)

4. I often have the urge to buy — and hide — Cocoa Puffs. What can I say? I wasn’t parented well around food and the scars last.

What are you most and/or least proud of about how you and your family eat? (Don’t be shy. I promise you I’ve been there!)

1. Rosie says:

It’s artichoke season here in Northern California and my 3yr old daughter DEVOURS them plain. No mayo, oil or other dippers needed-just steamed with a sprinkling of sea salt. AMAZING!

Not so proud moment: I had to bribe her with a quarter to try an asparagus spear. Now she eats the tips only provided they aren’t too big and since I a) hate to waste food and b) like the whole stalk, am the ‘proud’ recipient of tip-less asparagus on my plate.

2. Christina says:

Most Proud of:

– My big boy can identify almost any fruit and vegetable put in front of him, even some of the obscure ones.
    -The fact that my 2.5 year old has never eaten in a fast food restaurant.

Not So Proud:
    -Despite never feeding him jarred food and making all of his food since he was born from scratch, having him cook with me, grocery shop with me, plant veggies and constantly offering him new and exciting foods, at 2 years old he decided to stop eating everything. He became the picky eater I never thought i’d have. What happened? I know the tides will turn and one day he will eat everything again. I keep offering him everything, even if he says “no, yucky!” I am grateful for all of the months I had with him where he’d eat everything and look forward to the times when he will be that way again.

3. Christina says:

oh anther proud moment I just thought of:

-even though big boy is a “picky eater”, he doesn’t ever ask for junk food because hes never been raised that way. He will snack on pretzels, hard boiled eggs, apples and bananas. I guess he’s not that bad of an eater. maybe I should just chill. lol

4. Gina says:

What a great post idea!

Like you, I’m proud that my kids are great eaters and I can take them anywhere for a meal. It’s been a lot of hard work to teach them about healthy “growing” foods, and how we act at restaurants, but it’s SO worth it.

We need convenience at times – you know, those busy weeks where I’ve got late nights or school meetings or just don’t feel like cooking what’s on our meal plan! We usually turn to something packaged like fish sticks, frozen pizza, or beans and rice (all natural or organic). I’m not proud of those nights, but I know I could also be serving a lot worse.

5. Proud: I have two amazing eaters too. My 5yo is known at our local restaurant as “that kid who wants extra spinach with his.” They both think sushi is the best thing ever. The 5yo won’t eat oysters and mussels, which my 7yo loves.

Not Proud: I cannot find a commercial whole grain bread that I can swallow. They are all too soft, and too SWEET. Bleh. So I buy white baguettes like they’re going out of style.

Also this: I’m realizing that it’s pretty easy to get your kids to parrot your values back to you. They point at a dunkin donuts franchise and say “those are gross, that’s not real food.” But of course, they’ve never been inside. So I feel awkward hearing it repeated because it’s not a true sentiment on their part. It took me a good 35 years to find my own food wisdom. The message I’ve given my kids sounds more like brainwashing than true learning.

6. Melissa says:

Great post. It sounds like many of us parents who are championing real food have similar successes and failures. My least proud meal is breakfast. It’s not unusual (like today) for my son to eat instant oatmeal or cereal and milk. Neither my husband nor I eat much for breakfast so it’s one meal that I don’t give much thought to. I tell myself that at least it’s ORGANIC instant oatmeal as if that gives me a pass. Oh, and today, I did doctor it a bit by adding some homemade apple sauce.

Julia’s child, my son says some of the same stuff, though he has been inside Dunkin’ Doughnuts and McDonald’s with our beloved former nanny, so I guess I feel better about the fact that he’s tried it and now that she’s no longer an influence on his diet he’s rejected it.

7. Kelly says:

I am proud that I’m overcoming 30 years of terrible food habits to make a better situation for my daughter, who is 7 months old. We have totally revolutionized what we eat, and I’m becoming disgusted at how much fake food I always thought it was normal to consume.

I’m not so proud that I still give in to junk food cravings like chips and fast food, but I’m working hard to change it. I would be very proud if my daughter never ate at McD’s!

I adore Cocoa Puffs, btw…I actually found them in a grocery store here in Ontario just the other day – the first time I’ve seen them here in 4 years of living here…I paid $6 for a box! :p Won’t be making a habit of that…just too excited to pass it up. 🙂

8. I’m proud of most of what my son will eat. His tastes are really varied, slightly on the “picky” side. For instance, he loves edamame, soba noodles, nori and whole grain bread but he won’t touch any kind of meat or veggies that haven’t been tempura fried. DESPITE me having fed him a very wide variety of homemade baby food.

I too am not proud of my own eating habits sometimes. Yes, I realize the irony of wolfing down a fast food meal while parked in the Whole Foods parking lot. But some days, I just can’t help myself. Food was certainly used as a reward/punishment in my house growing up, and I guess I do have some residual effects.

9. Katherine says:

I am most proud that my 7yr old daughter will try anything, and that I never have to lie about what something is. She started with refried beans, salsa and quacamole at 6 mo, and has never looked back. She loves blue cheese, smoked salt, and any seafood, cooked or raw (dinosaurs eat it!). She would rather have a veggie sandwich than a hamburger any day!

I don’t admit that she doesn’t like peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches. (Is there a Kid law?) I also sometime buy her orange mac and cheese…. I can’t eat it, but she loves it.

10. Tiffany says:

I am a professional cook who is passionate about food and who serves many many nutritious meals over flowing with vegetables and fruit to my kids most of the time. But on some days I am very tired and am happy to serve something quick that lets me sit in the living room, while sipping a tea, and watching my kids put on a show for me at a time when I would usually be in the kitchen cooking. I just do not feel bad about it!

11. Caroline says:

I have three pretty good eaters who are willing to try everything (we still struggle with spicy food, but we’ll get there). But it is the middle one that is the foodie in the family: he prefers blue cheese to cheddar, his favourite food is oysters, and he makes one amazing bread. If only it wouldn’t take him 5 minutes to chew each bite, I would have nothing to complain about. And yes, it is hard work to get them there.