February 4th, 2011
I’m gonna give it to you straight: I’m not the football watching type. But, to the surprise of many, the Hungry Papa is. (It’s not the kind of thing you’d expect from him.) So, over the years, I’ve tried enjoying the sport. I’ve put genuine effort into understanding the game and getting worked up the way I do when we watch basketball, which is always so much fun. But, sadly, it never works. Except on Super Bowl Sunday, during the one football game of the year that holds my attention.
I’m gonna give it to you straight (again): the fact that the Super Bowl is different than other football games has nothing to do with football or even the commercials. Rather, I’m a fan on Super Bowl Sunday because we get to watch with friends and eat fun food. It’s that simple.
Could I do that every game? I suppose. And maybe it would make the difference. But we don’t (much to the relief of my waistline). So, it’s all about THE big game. And THE big game food. I’m fine with that, and think that the Hungry Papa has come to terms with it, too.
Here’s a round up of 20 of my favorite game day foods including my 3 favorite chilies, slow cooker ribs, turkey sliders, easy-to-make and better-than-the-bag chips and more. Make your list, shop tonight or tomorrow and get ready to throw down on Sunday, the one day of the year that this Hungry Mama is crazy about football. (Gooooooo Pittsburg Packers!!!!!)
2. To-die-for Pork Chili Verde
4. You can turn any of these into a delicious Chili Casserole by adding some frozen hash browns.
5. Or use the chili to make NACHOS! Check out my Lighter, Healthier Turkey Chili Nachos as a how-to guide.
6. If you prefer to serve your chili more simply, serve the beef or turkey over Smoked Gouda Polenta.
7. Turn this Tequila Lime Chicken into Tequila Lime Chicken Fingers by using tenders instead of cutlets.
8. Serve along side warm tortillas and my Easiest Refried Black Beans or…
10. My favorite easy tacos: Potato Chorizo Tacos, with all the fixin’s please!
11. My Corn Salad with Lime Vinaigrette on Corn Cakes might be vegetarian, but I promise they’ll satisfy any die-hard meat lover in your house, especially if you kick up the heat with extra jalapeno. Don’t worry that corn is out of season or that it’s too cold to grill. Use frozen corn and roast the jalapeno on your stove top.
12. I love these Slow Cooker Asian-Style Ribs because the slow cooker does ALL the work. Seriously… low maintenance ribs… how can you resist?!
13. This perfect Spicy Brisket is also super easy. Once you rub and brown the meat, it’s a no-brainer slow cook. Serve sliced plain or piled high on mini rolls (perhaps topped with cole slaw?).
14. Want pork AND beef? Okay, okay, here you go with my Easiest Classic Meatballs. Serve with a toothpick and side of warm marinara dipping sauce or flatten into mini-burgers.
15. Turn these Herbed Turkey Burgers into sliders that’ll go perfectly with my…
16. Polenta “French” Fries. Together, they make a burger and fry dinner that’ll make everyone happy (and that you won’t feel guilty sharing with even your littlest eaters!).
17. Skip the chips from a bag — or at least add some pizzazz to the chip selection — with these Kale Chips or…
18. Move over BBQ potato chips, we’ve got Smoked Paprika Parsnip Chips.
19. Make your own French Onion Dip by caramelizing onions (4 small should do) and combining with one 8-oz package of cream cheese, 1/2 c sour cream, 2 Tbsp mayo, 1 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire, salt and pepper.
20. Or go Mediterranean with my Red Pepper Walnut Dip.