December 14th, 2010

‘Tis the Season for Breakfast: Gingerbread Waffles

gingerbread waffles

Run, run as fast as you can; you can’t catch me, I’m… too busy eating gingerbread waffles.

Okay. That made no sense. At all. I’m drunk on delicious waffles. I have no sense left. I’ve lost it all trying to wrap my head around how anything so easy to make can also be so delicious.

Now I’m not making sense and being dramatic.

Whatevs. Try these gingerbread waffles (can be shared with kids 10+ mos*) and you’ll understand why. They are fantastico and can—you guessed it—be made ahead of time. Either keep the batter in the fridge overnight and make ‘em first thing in the a.m. Or complete the recipe days ahead and freeze the waffles. Warm in the toaster or oven for best results the day you want to serve them. Like, I don’t know, CHRISTMAS morning!

Gingerbread Waffles

*Note: There is nothing in these that can’t be shared with kids younger than 10 months, but they are best enjoyed as a finger food by children who can chew well (these will not dissolve). Also, if serving to young children, consider skipping the maple syrup. These are a little sweet and super tasty as is. Little ones don’t need the extra sugar to enjoy!

1. Amanda says:

Rachel Ray posted a recipe like this one…I think last year. They are incredible! My oldest daughter LOVES them. They make a lot, but who cares when you can freeze them? I love reheating them too, it makes the whole kitchen smell like gingerbread! nom nom nom

2. Rosie says:

Yum…gingerbread waffles. I think this will be on this weekend’s breakfast menu.

3. Rosie says:

Hi again…just wanted to follow up with a two thumbs up, four-star review of the waffle recipe. I made them yesterday morning and the recipe and results were as promised: easy to assemble, easy to cook (why I don’t I do waffles more often???-nowhere near the babysitting needed for pancakes) and delicious to boot. Hungry Dad, toddler and mom all enthusiastic eaters of this one.

Thank you!

Thank you for coming back, Rosie. I’m so happy! I’m really happy with this recipe and now even more so! Did you see my most recent post? These are going to be my Christmas morning b’fast. I took this choice seriously, as I have a tradition of making cinnamon rolls, but won’t have time this year. The substitute had to be worth it (but also quick and easy! :-) I hope you make them again and keep enjoying!

5. colleen says:

Oh my gosh, we have the cinnamon roll tradition too! We made the waffles this weekend and they were awesome! And made our hosue smell like cookies, double treat! Thank you!

6. Said says:

So many folks to cook, so many mohtus to feed, so much good food. No wonder you have to exercise!!