Weekly Digest (+ Non-Resolution Update #5)
February 19, 2010
Check out this week’s Food News, Things I Crave, Green Your Eats, Tips, Tools & Techniques, and Weekly Roundtable. Plus, for a little while, I’ll follow the Weekly Roundtable with a quick update on my non-resolutions to, you know, keep me honest!
Just so you know, I’ll be in NEW ORLEANS (!!) all of next week visiting family, walking around, EATING! I’m hoping to post while gone, but I have no idea what’s in store for me, traveling with both kiddos for the first time. Check in with me, but forgive if I can’t keep up. No matter what, I’ll be back by the 1st. With lots of inspiration from gorgeous NOLA.
Things I Crave
- I was recently offered (free) samples of Crofter’s Organics Superfruit Spreads. I gave my usual spiel about not promising to post about the product but, lo and behold, these are delish! The ChowPapa, ChowBaby and I liked all 4 flavors, made with nothing more than fruit, pectin & fair trade cane sugar. Packed with antioxidants from around the globe, each jam is named after the continent from where its antioxidant-rich fruit is indigenous. Find out more, including where to buy, here.
- I’m so getting this new book Free for All: Fixing School Food in America by sociologist Janet Poppendieck who “takes us through the deals, concessions and compromises that have bureaucratized the school food process while simultaneously dumbing down the food.” This is a must-read, people (via Civil Eats)
- I LOVE this gold Ritz cracker necklace!! Adorable! (via Happy Lady Eats)
- Beautifully hip, these melamine plates depicting the four seasons are on sale for $54 with 100% of all profits going to the Oxfam efforts in Haiti (via Oh Joy!)
Green Your Eats
- This is an old post, but I just came across it… and it’s super useful: multigrain pasta taste test (via Slashfood)
Tips, Tools & Techniques
- Thoughtful, useful and clear design—organize your kitchen using this (free) downloadable how-to guide from Hello Kitchen
- Bring out your inner Martha with these oh so lovely food craft and gift ideas from Design*Sponge
- So, 5 weeks in and I’ve gone to the gym 3 times each week… except this week, which was ridiculously busy. So busy, in fact, that I haven’t even gone once. But maybe all of the running around counts?
- I did manage to eat fish once and a bunch of vegetarian meals, so all was not lost. (Right?!)
- I still haven’t managed to get a massage, but I’m close to finished with the wedding album (hallelujah!), got to eat two awesome meals out and am heading to New Orleans for a week on Sunday—I can’t complain!