February 12th, 2010
Weekly Digest, Non-Resolution Update #4, Happy Valentine's Day, Welcome Year of the Tiger (Phew!)
Check out this week’s Food News, Things I Crave, Green Your Eats, Tips, Tools & Techniques, and Weekly Roundtable. Plus, for a little while, I’ll follow the Weekly Roundtable with a quick update on my non-resolutions to, you know, keep me honest.
Have a wonderful, love-fest of a Valentine’s Day this weekend. Feel the love. Spread the love. And don’t feel shy about saying I love you. (Like this: I love YOU! Thanks for reading!) And, of course, Happy New Year. Welcome Year of the Tiger!
- Program in my beloved Brooklyn brings kids to the butcher to learn about where food comes from (via NY Times)
- What the Michelle Obama childhood obesity initiative “Let’s Move” will—and will not—do (Washington Post via @meredithmo)
- Did Michelle Obama get the president to create a national Food Policy Council? (via Grist)
- Oye. Six Meaningless Claims on Food Labels (via NY Times—Well Blog)
- Fed Up with School Lunch: The Feds Join the Fray (via Lettuce Eat Kale)
Things I Crave
- Introducing, Ticings: lovely edible decals that give homemade cakes, cupcakes, cookies and brownies a pretty, professional look (via Springwise)
- These snout cups are creepy and beautiful at the same time. And the kids will think they’re funny, too! (via Bloesem Kids)
- LOVE this Tea Sub inspired by the Beatles Yellow Submarine. Need one! (via Black*Eiffel)
- What pretty cards! Many food themed ones (and look at the prints—more food there, too). I especially like the hot dog! (via Cool Hunting)
Green Your Eats
- Super cute (and chemical free!) stainless steel feeding gear from Life Without Plastic (via Inhabitots)
- Food Money Matters: A GREAT piece on why healthy eating doesn’t have to be expensive (via Cheap Healthy Good)
- Free range? Organic? Cage free? Which eggs to buy?! (Quick cheat: pasture raised) (via Civil Eats)
Tips, Tools & Techniques
- I mentioned last week that I thought I’d only make it to the gym 2x’s. Well guess what, biotches?! I worked it OUT and fit in 3x’s after all! But this week, not so much. Think I’ll pull it out again at the last minute?
- This week started off with a vegetarian bang, but then petered out. Only one veg meal and one fish meal this week. Better next time.
- I didn’t exactly pamper myself this week, but I did make time to meet twice with a photographer who’s also a professional organizer to help put together my wedding album. Yes. You read right. Wedding. As in five years ago. I’m finally going to be able to cross “make wedding album” off my list after all these years! That’s most definitely a treat for me.