November 18th, 2009

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Scotchies

oatmeal scotchies

Many of you have likely heard of—if not experienced—the ravenous appetite that breast feeding causes, not to mention the cravings for sugar. The amazing thing is that, so long as you don’t massively overdo it, you can eat tons and still lose weight. It’s magical… so I hear.

For the second time, I’m experiencing serious milk supply issues. I won’t tell you what I went through trying to increase my supply for my first ChowBaby. This time, prepared for complications, I called my lactation consultant before my new ChowBaby was born. That led to an amazing doctor who refers to herself as the breast feeding doctor. With the help of these amazing women, I’ve come to learn that a) I have an underlying health issue (nothing too serious) that keeps me from making over a certain, small amount of breast milk and b) it’s not fair to my family, especially Isaac, to constantly breast feed in an attempt to defy my body’s nature. So, despite the pain it causes me (I know that sounds dramatic but, as should be obvious by now, feeding the people I love as well as possible is at my core), I am supplementing.

I digress!! More to the point, my breast feeding issues mean that I, sadly, do not have a ravenous appetite! Even more sad is that I keep eating as much as my breast feeding friends. I tell myself it’s fueling the little milk that I manage to make but, really, I’m just eating my way through disappointment and taking a little time before I start the post-baby weight loss regimen.

So, what’s this have to do with cookies? Isn’t it obvious?!

My latest craving was for butterscotch and as a breast feeding mama who mustn’t ignore her appetite, I slipped the tiny one into his sling and hit the road in search of butterscotch chips. I ended up at Target and all they had was Nestle Tollhouse brand. Done and done. In an attempt to bolster my breast feeding ruse (to myself), I opted to make an oatmeal cookie (oatmeal is supposedly good for supply). Then, I added chocolate chips for good measure. Voila: Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Scotchies.

This recipe is very close to the one on the back of the package. I just reduced the sugar (butterscotch chips are hella sweet on their own), added more cinnamon and used half butterscotch and half chocolate chips. My baking time kept them nice and chewy. Add a couple of minutes if you like your cookies crispy.

These are best served warm with a tall, cold glass of milk. Or all you other breast feeding moms can enjoy these as I do—with a cold, dark beer (another supply booster).

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Scotchies
adapted from Nestle TollHouse
(can be served to kids 12+ mos)

1 1/4 c organic flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp organic cinnamon
1 c (2 sticks) organic butter, softened
1/2 c organic granulated sugar
3/4 c organic packed brown sugar
2 organic large eggs
1 tsp organic vanilla extract
3 c organic quick or old-fashioned oats
5 1/2 oz (1/2 of an 11 oz pkg; just shy 2 cups) organic chocolate chips
5 1/2 oz (1/2 of an 11 oz pkg; just shy 2 cups) organic butterscotch chips

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.

2. Beat together butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla with an electric mixer. Gradually add dry ingredients and beat until well mixed.

3. Stir in oats and both kinds of chips.

Drop 1 tablespoon scoops onto an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 7 to 8 minutes. Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

1. debbie says:

Oy, Stacie, how well I remember my own supply-issues days! I had to supplement from Harry’s first week, and I even had a phone consult with Dr. Gabay, who was wonderful–I just didn’t have it together enough to get up to see her. Good for you, for doing whatever it takes to care for your baby. Formula is food, not poison.

And boy, do those cookies look good. Too bad I’m not breastfeeding these days, so I have no excuse to make/eat a batch.

2. Yum!
    Hang in there. No one ever tells us that breastfeeding is HARD! And remember, every little bit you give Oliver is better than nothing. You are still his mom and you are always going to do what is best for him.

3. Gabrielle says:

i’ve absolutely been there! i beat myself up for a long time about it (which didn’t help the ppd i experienced). as cheryl says, even a little bit is better than nothing.

and those cookies – they look great! walnuts would be a great addition too :)

4. stacie says:

hi ladies. thanks for the breast feeding support. it can be really difficult, huh? but we’re hanging in. i so completely lost perspective last time that i deeply understand the value of keeping perspective this time–for me, for oliver, for isaac and the rest of my family. it’s hard, but we’re hanging in and have a plan in place so that i feel like i give it enough time, but don’t get carried away. it so helps to hear from other moms who’ve been through similar challenges… and who like cookies as much as i do! :-)

5. Yael says:

I’m right there with you, Stacie! I’ve had to supplement since M. was 3 months old, and now she won’t take the boob anymore, so I have to pump. She quite enjoys her cocktails — two parts breast milk, one part organic formula — and I enjoy sharing the feeding responsibilities with my partner. Wish I could send a memo to all expecting moms telling them not to beat themselves up if they don’t find breastfeeding easy as pie. Speaking of pie…these cookies look amazing.

6. Marci says:

I rarely comment on blogs, but I have been in your situation with two of my own babies and it is so frustrating! You feel like a complete failure. Everyone else can do it, why can’t I? Like you I had way more perspective the 2nd time around and tried not to be so hard on myself. As long as your babies are happy and healthy that is the only thing that matters. Hang in there!!

7. Kelsey says:

I LOVE these cookies! I supplemented too, my body couldn’t hack feeding the 10lb newborn. BabyO will be just fine, and you will be too. :)

8. NYCMatt says:

Where do you find ORGANIC butterscotch chips??

9. stacie says:

Ha! nycmatt: i’ve been waiting for someone to ask me a question like this, about ingredients that are extremely difficult to find organic. the truth is, i write organic in front of everything as a matter of making a point that organic is best whenever possible, that we should strive to make organic a matter of course (when & if we can). i actually buy very close to 100% organic. i budget for it, i’m committed to it. but everyone has their priorities–and they are different. So, basically, feel free to ignore my “organic” notation if you can’t or don’t want to take the time to find the organic version. oh… and i often skip “organic” if, as far as i can tell, an organic version doesn’t exist. that’s the case with butterscotch morsels, but i must have typed it out of habit.

10. [...] was hard for me. Painfully hard. Both times. I’ve written a little bit about my breast milk supply issues here (funnily enough, in the context of cookies!), but didn’t get into the great [...]

11. more milk says:

Very great post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I have truly enjoyed browsing your weblog posts. After all I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again very soon!

12. [...] help promote healthy breast milk production. Start your day with oatmeal and treat yourself to some Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Scotchies every once and a [...]