July 3rd, 2009
Photo: Vosges Chocolate
Food News, Things We Crave, Resources, Green Your Eats, and Tips, Tools & Techniques. Check out this week’s picks. Then have a great holiday weekend. Happy 4th, y’all!
- Beef recall expands from 41,000 lbs to 380,000 lbs (via Take Part)
- Obama Deli opens in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn (woot woot!) (via Brownstoner)
- Is this food news? Not sure. I almost put it under Tips, Tools, and Techniques, but it seemed too ambitious a suggestion. Check out these insane photos from the Jell-O Mold competition (via Eat Me Daily)
- Slashfood visits the Fancy Food Show in NYC: day one, day two and day three
- The Feedbag visits the unFancy Food Show in Bklyn
- Are you “Pro Food”? Read how and why you should be part of the growing movement to reverse the downsides of industrial food (via Civil Eats)
- GMO’s on their way out, high-tech assisted conventional breeding is in (via The Ethicurean)
- July = National Hot Dog Month! (via Serious Eats)
- Turf Wars! NYC cars vs food trucks (via NY Times)
- The Only Thing Toxic About the White House Kitchen Garden is the Misinformation (via Huffington Post)
Things We Crave
- For all you Wagyu/Washugyu loving meat eaters in NYC, Japan Premium Beef opens in Noho. This place is serious biz. Store Manager Taiki Otsuka explains, “We believe that Washugyu is art.” (via Cool Hunting) And here’s a quick review from my friend over at Writing with My Mouth Full.
- Mini-Cocottes from Le Creuset, complete with a recipe booklet. I love these (and classic flame is my color!) (via The Kitchn)
- 10 space saving high chair alternatives (via Lil Sugar)
- OH YEA! One of my favorite chocolate makers comes out with a Bacon Chocolate Chip Pancake Mix. Right on.
- Farm to School 101! Farm Aid’s Toolkit (via @FarmAid, whom you should start following on Twitter ASAP!)
- The Epicurious Independence Day Party Planner—Happy 4th!
- Book of Cooks is a new, online market place to buy or sell local, home cooked meals—check it out to be or to find a cook (via Springwise)
- The Kitchn turns a seasonal spotlight on mulberries!
- Very cool! Open ChefAMe offers “open mic night” for local aspiring chefs in Philly (via Springwise)
- Phil Howard, best know for his graphic representations of the food industry, has released a new image looking at who owns seeds: Seed Industry Structure (via Bitten)
Green Your Eats
- Chicago area readers, this one’s for you! New service Fresh Picks offers year round delivery of local and organic produce, meat, dairy, and eggs (via The Kitchn)
- Have you all heard about “cowpooling”? This piece in Time explains the practice of groups pitching in to purchase an entire animal for bulk (and, hopefully, healthier) meat. I want in! Too bad I don’t live in the Bay Area to take advantage of this platform for hooking up with local ranchers.
- Miniature garden resources and inspirations (via OhDeeDoh)
Tips, Tools, and Techniques
- This mouth watering overview of NYC’s haute dog scene is a tip for New Yorkers to start trying some fancy dawgs OR inspiration for the rest of you to get creative this holiday weekend (via Serious Eats)
- Holiday weekend recipe alert! Make Bobby Flay’s perfect burger and fries (via Serious Eats)
- More holiday burger fun: The NY Times enlightens us on the perfect burger and all its parts
- Single serving Jell-O treats, homemade Jell-O, and more Jell-O fun (via Parent Hacks)
- LookAndTaste Healthy iPhone app for healthy recipes, some with step by step video (note: I have not tried this, but it sounds neat enough to check out for 99 cents) (via Blue Kitchen)